Thursday 4 October 2012

CONTEMPORARY



MUMMERY+SCHNELLE

EXHIBITION, VARIOUS ARTISTS

More info on this gallery visit: http://www.mummeryschnelle.com/index.htm

This was a unique little gallery, with very contemporary artists of mixed media and photography and some abstract some thought provoking. There wasn't a huge amount of work here but it was great to see something a little different out of the ordinary.




Ori Gersht, as above

This piece of work was great, I am familiar with Ori Gersht's work as I saw his exhibition at the Imperial War Museum and online too. It is always inspirational to see Gersht's work because it is so unique and mysterious in some aspects. I always associate emotion with his work, purely because of the way he photographs and his subject matter correlates with that idea also. This image above is very striking, as well as being a fairely large print you are immediateness drawn to all the different objects within the powerful explosion. These objects represent fragility, femininity and beauty and he has chosen to explode them into millions of pieces, but creating something equally as beautiful. 



On the right is a piece by Paul Caffell, Painting, 2011
Oil on canvas, unframed 122 x 122cm (48inch)
At the back is Ori Gersht Time after Time, Blow up No. 05 2007
Light Jet Print on Aluminium
250 x 188cm, Edition 1/6






Jyll Bradley, Nobody gives you freedom you have to take it 2010-11
'light drawing' on Bockingford Watercolour paper 190gsm
30 x 22cm, Edition of 3




Louise Hopkins, 4 beds 2008
Acrylic Ink on Magazine page, paper 24 x 20cm

This little piece caught my curiosity and got me really thinking about how Hopkins had done the work. After reading the description it was then clear she had drawn over the original image to create or manipulate something else. I thought it was quite architectural with the lines but I think it's also quite feminine and personal, as if representing her own identity in a way. I am merely assuming these connections with the image, however with little description I felt I was able to come to my own conclusions on all of the work, to me contemporary art is definitely more interesting that way.




Ori Gersht, Chasing good fortune Hiroshima Sleepless Nights: Never Again 01 2010
Framed archival pigment print on Aluminium
83 x 69cm Edition 1/8

Here is another of Ori Gersht's familiar images, and quite a contrast to the one above, with it's minimalism and simplicity the image comes across as calming and tranquil, it is pleasing to the eye and quite easy to read at first glance. However as I've seen this image before at the Imperial War Museum I know it has a deeper meaning and reflects quite a dark message and that being of sadness and dispair. I feel as though he tries to make something that is quite an unhappy thought into something more pleasant.







No comments:

Post a Comment