Monday 26 March 2012

AN ALL TIME GREAT!



Perspectives - David Suchet
People I Have Shot ...




ITV 1 Sunday 25Th March 10:15pm
David Suchet follows in the footsteps of his grandfather, Fleet Street photographer Jimmy Jarche, in a quest to capture on camera how Britain has changed in the past century.

I am so glad I watched this documentary as it was so interesting and inspiring. To see this work of a photographer I haven't been familiar with until now, has also given me an insight to what modern news photographer's were like nearly 100 years ago. David Suchet investigates his Grandfather's portfolio of images and goes on a journey to recreate a few of those photographs, with the same Leica camera.





I am particularly interested in Jarche's portraits of the minors and many famous people, because of the intimacy and comfortable presence they all possess. What is interesting here is the darkness of their faces against the pale innocence of the children represents this hard, long life that most of these people lived through.

 

This is David Suchet getting in close to capture the true essence of the Ballet dancer's, the show really does demonstrate the level of skill and determination news and documentary photographer's have to produce such natural and expressive work.



 Construction workers on the Shell Building, London, 16 June 1932




This image taken by James Jarche, clearly marks a moment in history, showing a working process of the building and the view of the Thames. David Suchet recreates this image, (although no image has been found) and is amazed to be standing in the exact same spot.





At the end of the show an exhibition is held for James Jarche's work and he has now become, for me, one the master's of news and documentary photography of that time. 


"I was just thinking now, if he was there, listening to this, I think Jimmy, would have gone-Wow, thank you very much I really didn't expect that, and if he had met me at the bottom of the stairs he'd probably go- YES!!" (with thumbs up)- David Suchet met with four photography professionals to discuss Jarche's portfolio and they were amazed at the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment