Saturday 29 September 2012

WHAT DO YOU SEE?



The Photographers' Gallery
http://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/home


A Single image on it's own with the opportunity to write your comments and thoughts on, good or bad. 

What do you see? 


This is the question that you are asked and I thoroughly enjoyed this 'mini project', which I thought it was and I thought it was a really good way of interacting with the Art. There were A5 pieces of card around for you to write on and then you could write away your opinions!
After you could choose to post it in box where your card is read and then maybe picked for the website. I will definitely be going back to this gallery, this being one of the main reasons.


Pavement Mirror Shop, Howrah, West Bengal,
Raghubir Singh, 1991


C- Print, Courtesy Succession Raghubir Singh
2 August-30 October 2012

Here is what I thought:





If you can't quite understand my writing, here it is again a bit clearer:
It's a busy street, full of people with many mirrors in the frame, which reflect the faces of the public and their surroundings. To me it represents culture and hectic lifestyles, and it makes you 'reflect' on how your own culture is different (to others). The main colour that stands out is the red, which could suggest a dramatic consequence.


After looking at the image again I think at first the mirrors are not that noticeable because I don't see them until I have looked at the people. I think it's quite an abstract piece and very impressionistic, it gives documentary and travel photography a little twist, repeating a few of the subjects and subtle 'images within images' hence the mirrors. It's quite an interesting image to look at, it really makes you think about it and it was a great photo for this exhibition.


Have a look at some others here: 
Or visit the gallery and write something yourself, it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment